Broadsword Charters Ltd. is located inTroon Yacht Haven
Troon, Ayrshire, KA10 6DJ
Tel/Fax: 01292 315492
- Does Broadsword offer multiple day charters?
- Yes, charters may be booked by the day, weekend or longer periods for those wishing to travel further afield.
- What if we have never sailed before?
- Booking a charter requires no previous sailing ability and our skippers will take this into account in tailoring your sailing experience. For RYA courses, only the Competent Crew course requires no previous experience. All other RYA courses suggest a minimum pre-course experience. This is outlined in RYA booklet G15 - RYA Sail Cruising and Yachtmaster Scheme - Syllabus and Logbook.
- How do I get to Troon?
By Car: Our postcode is KA10 6DJ. Enter that into your Satnav, or Route Planner for detailed directions and a map.
By Train: We are just a 5 minute taxi ride from Troon Station on the main Glasgow to Ayr line.
By Air: Located just 3 miles from Glasgow Prestwick International Airport, with daily Ryanair flights to Stanstead. Alternatively fly to Glasgow and train to Troon.
- How do I know the yacht is safe to go to sea?
- Our charter and training yachts are Royal Yachting Association certified for commercial use, inspected annually, and have a monthly audit of all safety equipment.
- Will I need to bring any special equipment with me?
- We will provide all specialist equipment required for your sailing trip. You should wear comfortable, sensible casual clothing but do bear in mind that you will be outdoors so warm clothing is recommended. If you have outdoor waterproof clothing then bring it with you. If not, you may be able to hire some from us.
- What else should I bring with me?
Most people prefer to bring their own bedding, sleeping bag and pillow but if your travelling arrangements impose size or weight limits you may prefer to take advantage of the hire service we have available. Kyle Chandlers can supply you with sailing equipment including gloves, hats, boots and general sailing equipment.
One month prior to the start date you will be sent a set of joining instructions which includes a list of recommended items to bring with you.
- Will I sleep on board overnight?
Broadsword is an extremely well-appointed yacht, with all the comforts of home. Sleeping on board in a quiet secluded anchorage by a sandy beach is part of the adventure and romance of sailing and an experience not to be missed. Charter guests who wish to spend some evenings ashore may do so at their expense, provided ample notice is given to allow prior booking of rooms.
If you are on a RYA training course sleeping on board is an important aspect of the course.
- Can you arrange accommodation for us locally?
- Troon is a popular holiday destination and Ayrshire is renowned for its golfing, beaches and tourist attractions. So if you want to extend your stay in the area there are lots of Hotels and excellent guest houses. We are happy to assist with this.
- What are the toilet facilities like?
- Broadsword has two marine toilets, called heads, each with a washbasin with hot and cold running water and a shower for use on passage. When berthed in a marina in the evening we use the shore side facilities.
- Are there any age limits?
- We provide sailing for anyone who is physically fit to undertake the cruise or course. Under 16's are welcomed provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- How many people will be on board?
- Broadsword is coded for ten persons so we can accommodate 8 guests and up to two crew for day sailing experiences. For longer charters we have up to six guests plus crew, and for RYA courses, five guests plus skipper.
- Do you cater for vegetarians and others with specific dietary requirements?
- We can cater for specific dietary requirements provided this is indicated clearly on the relevant section on the application form. One of our staff will then make contact to discuss specific aspects of provisioning.
- What happens if the weather is bad?
- In the Firth of Clyde there are lots of sheltered areas between the islands where we can sail when the weather is bad. Your skipper will take the weather forecast into account when planning your itinerary.
- Can we do a Bareboat Charter on Broadsword?
- No, this option is not available.
- Can we help to sail the yacht?
- Yes! This is actively encouraged. The more sailing skills you pick up the more you will enjoy the whole experience. Your Skipper/Instructor will teach you anything you need to know to help you on your way to becoming a safe and competent sailor.
- Can I sit back at times and just enjoy the scenery or read my book?
- Of course you can! Your enjoyment is a priority and if you want to chill while you read the latest bestseller - that is fine with us.